- MI 100 Workshop & MI 100 Virtual is aimed at providers with limited MI exposure. Participants will include an audience of psychologists, public health, counselors, LMFT’s, psychiatrists, NP’s, dentists, PT’s, ND’s, substance-abuse counselors, nutritionists, diabetes educators, and graduate students from any of these or collateral fields.
- Motivational Interviewing 100 Workshop [12 hours CE total] will combine a didactic overview of MI, practice of basic MI skills in dyads, triads, and small or large groups. Participants will also engage in small groups to discuss MI topics and consider how to understand and apply skills.
- Motivational Interviewing 100 Workshop Evidence-based learning principles such as interleaving, re-testing, and self-testing are embedded into how we strive to facilitate participants encoding, retention, and recall of information. MI 100 provides participants 1] the opportunity to learn MI basics [e.g. OARS], 2] the MI Conceptual Framework overview and 3] materials/exercises to determine how MI might translate to their workplace, and 4] opportunities to continue their MI learning process. MI 100 is consistent with principles and practices elucidated in Miller & Rollnick’s Motivational Interviewing [3rd Edition] as well as more recent works.
MI 100 Workshop Learning Goals
- Describe the mindset and heart set of MI
- Discuss how MI approaches differ from CC Counseling, and others.
- Describe the guiding and directive approaches within MI.
- Describe MI processes [Engage, Focus, Evoke, Plan].
- Practice use of OARS to avoid the Righting Reflex
- Demonstrate basic application of OARS skills.
- Describe the importance of change talk and sustain talk in MI practice.
- Describe how to respond to change talk in clinical conversations.
- Define “resistance” and discord in current MI practice.
- Detail some personal roadblocks in learning MI for individuals.
- Compare situations in which deploying MI is counter-productive.
- Begin to detail a personal MI learning plan.
[2 days, 12 hours total CE; see handout for hour by hour schedule]
 Rosengren, DB. Building Motivational Interviewing Skills: A Practitioner’s Workbook, 2nd Ed. . Guilford Press, NY, NY.